An average sort of day. Pruned melons and picked cherry tomatoes. I provided the crew with some entertainment on the way to work by casually stepping off the trailer to retrieve my baseball cap. As I didn't bother compensating for the speed of the tractor, I was thrown into a roll on impact with the road. Sumbad, Godwin, and Olly were very amused until it became evident that I wasn't hurt.

Olly and I had some interesting conversations with Godwin while picking cherry tomatoes in the afternoon. Godwin explained to us the truth behind wet dreams, which is that the devil visits us at night and tempts us. Thankfully he is not plagued by these dreams any more, he told us.

Olly and I continued our ridiculous conversation about the farmer's absence of hair. It started more or less on our first day of work when I pointed out that, if one looks closely, one could see a slight bald spot (he is almost completely bald). Since then things have gone downhill.

This morning he caught us having a conversation about him not noticing our shoddy workmanship for the cascades of dark hair obscuring his vision. This afternoon we discussed his interesting range of toupees: his blue coat with a hood; his baseball cap; a large flap of pink skin; and, finally, a house―or rather a toupee disguised as a house. Painstakingly convincing, he parks his car outside his toupee and even allows his wife and children to live in it.

I am writing this down in the hope that, when I read it in a year's time, I will have regained some degree of sanity and won't find it amusing in the least.

Comments