The weirdest Christmas I've ever had. Didn't get up until 2.30 in the afternoon due to the late night and large quantity of Gold Star beer. Discovered that we had kept the Thais (Banjo in particular) awake for quite a while when we got back from the pub last night.

We left the palace at 5.00 to go shopping and for me to 'phone home. For at least a week preceding today I have been convinced that there was going to be a problem with getting through and Mum was going to assume that I was dead as a result. As it happened, my rather morbid fantasy nearly achieved realisation. The 'phone accepted only ½-shekel tokens―not available until 8.30 the following morning. Unfortunately the operator service in Israel is not free as in England so I thought I wasn't even going to be able to make a collect call.

In response to my short burst of panicking, Olly assured me that my mother wouldn't assume I was dead; and that, even if she did, my father would be able to persuade her otherwise. I knew he was wrong on both counts. Fortunately Godwin had spare tokens after an unsuccessful attempt at 'phoning a friend in Be'er-Sheva so I was able to make a collect call.

It was nice to speak to Mum and Dad, but also strange. Because I am in such a totally different environment to that of a month ago and also I know that I am going to be away for so long, my sense of time was a little confused. The way I spoke to my parents was as if I had already been away for a long time. I asked how Matthew was doing at university even though the answer was obviously the same as it was a month ago!

Also the conversations I had with them both were disjointed due to the time delay. The next time I 'phone home will be in May when I am in Singapore.

After shopping we both nipped into the Thais' flat to apologise for our noise last night. Only Banjo was in. He grudgingly accepted our apology, appearing to be in a bit of a sulk. We both thought that Sumbad would have accepted our apology more gracefully.

The day ended rather pleasantly with a nice chicken and rice meal. The rice tasted strongly of chicken juices and garlic. Delicious!

Comments