Got up in time for a rather unpleasant breakfast comprising a cold, greasy egg surrounded by pieces of tasteless white bread and washed down with a cup of undrinkable tea.

After such a disappointing breakfast, the boys selling bananas at 50 Tsh for a large bunch was a very welcome sight.

Shortly after we bought the bananas, an Australian guy called Steve was transferred to our compartment "for his own safety". He was very friendly and extrovert, so at first I though he was going to be insufferable. He turned out to be really OK, though, especially when he used his excess shillings to buy us and John Pepsis and meals (the Jap left early in the morning).

We were relieved to hear from John that the customs and immigration procedures were done on the train whilst it is in motion. When they came, we were amazed to discover how lax they were. The Tanzanians didn't ask to see the $30 I was supposed to have remaining, and the Zambians were quite satisfied when I told them I had no foreign currency, just a credit card. They didn't even issue a currency declaration form. This left me free to change the $45 stashed in my sock with whomever I chose.

After we crossed the Zambian border, a guy called Peter joined us. He seemed very stern and unpleasant at first, but actually was friendly enough, though very quiet.

Steve had with him an electronic chess game he had bought in London. Olly had a couple of games before getting bored. The two Zambians then took over and Peter played solidly for hours. I think he was fascinated by the technology.

Our evening meal was "Meat and Rice". I think it was goat. I wasn't sure if I was supposed to swallow it or just chew it and spit it out.

The evening and night were occasionally interrupted by 3rd-class passengers trying to gain entry to our compartment. One cheeky bastard even turned the light on to check the soldier's story about there being six in our compartment already.

Comments